Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Orifice Season

IS OVER!



Hoping to squeeze in one more day on our projects, Geir and I packed a bunch of layers and headed to the summit. My last visit was about 10 days prior, when stormy conditions and cooling temps forced an early retreat. I made decent progress on my one proj attempt that day, and was optimistic that if I could get about 4 or 5 more runs in, one of them could be a redpoint. Geir had been getting heartbreakingly close to sending Orifice Politics, and just needed one solid run.

We bundled up in belay jackets and beanies, and went to work. After two quick warm up burns, I hopped on Granite of the Apes. Sadly, it wasn't meant to be. My fingers just couldn't stay warm enough to pull through the first crimp-nasty 40 feet. Moves that I had pretty wired and had been feeling easy felt super strenuous, and every clip was a battle unto itself with no sensitivity in my tips. After three fruitless, frustrating burns, I realized it was not to be. I had to fold my hand and walk away from the table. Maybe next summer.

After I fumbled my way around on my project, Geir crushed his. He made a very impressive ascent of the uber-classic Orifice Politics. It was a perfect way to end the summer summit season.

Until next year!







No comments:

Post a Comment